Design- Seasons Stitching
|Design- Seasons Stitching|
We know many of you will be busy this time of year, and frankly so will staff.
We also know many of you are not artists / designers. But we'd like to push you to try if you haven't before.
As such we're spreading this next quest across two months! More time to plan and ask for feedback if you need it.
Your quest is to design a seasonal cross stitch pattern. Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Yule, or any other holiday this time of year. If you don't celebrate anything, a winter-themed stitch will do. (Or Summer, for the southern hemisphere!)
Your pattern can be whatever size you want, but the larger you make it the more work it will be for you.
Please also keep in mind these will be uploaded to the site and considered free for anyone to stitch.
- As to how you create your pattern, that's up to you.
- You could use a program like WinStitch or PCStitch. They have free trials, too.
- You could use a pixel art program instead and just zoom in a bit and apply a grid.
- You could use a free online tool like StitchFiddle.
- You could doodle it on graph paper and scribble it in with colored pencils.
- Your pattern should be submitted as an image file, or a photo of the notebook you drew it in. To be uploaded to the site and will be considered free for others to use. If you need help with figuring out how to export your pattern, please ask! If you're using a free trial of a program and can't export; a screenshot that includes the design and color palette will suffice!
Disclaimer: If you don't feel like you're an 'artist' THAT'S OKAY. Noone is here to judge your artistic skill. You're learning. This is an exercise. It doesn't have to be perfect. Feel free to also ask your guildmates for tips, feedback, help with formatting, etc. We're all in this artistic journey together!
If you know of other good resources, share them in #quest-chat! You are not in any way required to BUY software for this quest! There are plenty of free options, and most paid software has free trials.
- Lord Libidan's list of pattern software - Includes PC, Online(Website), Mac, iPad, and Android options!
- Printable Paper - If you don't have any graph paper, you can print some out!
- C.R.A.F.T - How to make a cross stitch pattern (with graph paper)
Pixel Art Tutorials! Cross stitch is basically pixel art. And there are a LOT of pixel art tutorials out there. So look around and see what you can find. Share any that really helped you with the group.
- Drawing Pixel Lines - Learn to pixel curves!
- Luke's Tutorials - I've found these pretty helpful with basics.
- Lospec - A big directory of tutorials.
- More resources available in the #pattern-design channel pins on Discord
All done? Head over to the Discord and find the #quest-turn-in channel and make a single post with your pattern image. Be sure to mention whose palette you used! Whether it was your own, or someone else's.
Please don't chat or discuss the entries in this channel. We don't want anyone's work to get buried in chatter.
You can 'react' to the other photos as a show of encouragement. Or complement and discuss others' color palettes in the #quest-chat channel.
Here we have all the players who have completed this quest!
Check the actual player pages for information regarding their selected color palette.